Monday, August 29, 2016

Week 53

AREA: Central Tucson 
COMPANION: Elder Esplin
 
Dear Friends and Family,

Monday: Our apartment complex has a club house where we can go and
email, play pool, relax on a couch, and play chess as well. Spent a
lot of time in there today with Elder Cox and Heath. Had a lesson with
the African guy we met yesterday on the Restoration and it went really
well. Elder Esplin invited him to be baptized but because of cultural
reason he said he needed to talk to his father first. Well...
Technically both fathers, heavenly and earthly. Haha

Tuesday: Taught a lesson to a less active who been an true
alcoholic(meaning he drank everyday) since he was 13. Had his first
drink of alcohol when he was 9. He has had a very tough life and has
been struggling with this addiction for a very long time. Taught him
some ways that may help him to quit drinking through the strengthening
power of the atonement. Met with Melissa and Anthony some recent
converts and gave them the rundown about how new member lessons will
be, and taught a lesson to the Tuipelehake family.

Wednesday: Sent out my mama's birthday present today, it was two weeks
late but I finally got it out and she gave me the thumbs up that it
was good. Don't know if she cried or not, hopefully she did;) haha
love you mom:) happy late birthday present:) Had meetings today and
learned about prophets and how to introduce them better to people who
may not be familiar to the idea of modern day prophets, what their
purposes are, how they are called of God, and why they're important to
have. So proud of my "son", the growth he has made makes me smile:) he
was already a good missionary and now he is an even better one:) haha

Thursday: Had an intense/awesome lesson with a member today named
Richard. He's the guy who put out two shots of brown liquid and told
the new missionaries to drink up, telling them it will not harm them
in any way. It's really coke... But it doesn't look like it when
you're in the new guys shoes. Well we had a very forward and bold
discussion with him on a bunch of things. He used the "I can't" excuse
when it came to increasing his knowledge in the gospel by using
technology. Just like before my mission I was like him were I thought
I couldn't do things when it came to studying things unless I wanted
to. He can sit at a computer all day looking up guns and knives but
when it comes to the gospel it doesn't work. He reminds me very much
of me... When I was in school and didn't enjoy doing homework. Great
thing is that the atonement is infinite and real. Through the
strengthening power of the atonement we can change for the better. Had
a few other lessons and had dinner with Travis and talked about the
gospel some more and life in general, he's an awesome dude.

Friday: Happy One Year mark, crazy to think a year ago I entered the
MTC. Technically it was Thursday because this year was a leap year but
you know... Haha love to be out here serving:) wouldn't replace the
time I've spent out here for anything. Weekly planned a majority of
the day which was fun... Our ward had a talent show and a few people
we invited actually came which was fun:)

Saturday: Roy fed us steak for lunch today which was delicious:)
Received a referral for a guy named Percy and contacted him today.
Very smart man, he's almost what you can describe as a mad genius...
He's so smart he's kinda crazy haha. Showed him the Book of Mormon and
said he has already read it 4 times... That actually checked out
because he told some stories from it. Turned out as well that he is a
member. Really cool guy, he is the first black guy I have met that has
blue eyes. He expressed a desire to come back to church so we invited
him to church. After visiting with him we did some more weekly
planning.

Sunday: Really good Sunday, Percy came to church which was exciting.
After church we had lunch and checked up on a few LA the bishopric
referred us too. Scheduled some appointments with them and went home
to finish weekly planning... I feel like all I do is plan sometimes...
Good thing it all is worth it:)

Today I would like to talk about the "I can't" excuse and how
ridiculous it is. This week after our lesson with Richard I really
thought about it and what it really means to say "I can't". Think
about all that our Heavenly Father has done for us, he sent us onto
this beautiful planet to learn and grow. He gave us a Savior to die
for us and suffer for anything and everything we have experienced. He
did everything... And when we say "I can't"... It's like saying Christ
did what he did for nothing. I love my savior Jesus Christ and the
sacrifices he made for me so I can do anything if it be Gods will.

Ether 12:27
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give
unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient
for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble
themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak
things become strong unto them."

Life is tough and sometimes we may be faced with difficulties that we
feel we can't handle. We can though through the help of our loving
savior Jesus Christ. A year ago I was in the MTC thinking I wouldn't
be able to make it these two years. I've made it a year and through
him, I know he has made weak things stronger:)

Love you all!! Have a great week!

Love,

Elder Smith
 
New door hanger I made

Our white board... Before I got here it was just white... Haha

Our apartment

Me at the pizza place Travis brings us to haha. It just also happens to be a bar haha
 

No comments:

Post a Comment